You have decided to have a business website so as to target the online users who might be interested in what you are selling. You do not have much of an idea how to go about designing a site, and so you hire a web designer to take care of this for you. The website designer might also offer SEO services, as it is critical for your site to be SEO friendly. So you leave it in his hands to take care of web design and SEO, or to suggest a competent SEO specialist to take care of this aspect. After going through an ordeal to find a really good web designer to create your website, along with an SEO specialist, you then need to think of hosting. Unfortunately there are many people who fail to place enough importance on web hosting, and that is a problem. In reality good hosting is the foundation for your site and online brand. Without good hosting people will want to access your site, but fail to do so because either it is not running properly, or else it takes too long to load, making them give up and leave.
This highlights the importance of finding a reliable web hosting company so as to make sure that your website is in good hands. There are several of such companies in Australia, and you might easily be overwhelmed with tempting promotions that these hosting companies offer. But you need to choose wisely. Here are some tips which can help you do this.
- Do not be tempted by free domains – they may sound nice and obviously, cheap. Yet even though the domain is free, the hosting company will retain its ownership. So you will get stuck with that company. Another common scenario is that the first year might be given for free, but then the renewal fee for subsequent years is going to be really high when compared with what other hosting companies are offering.
- Domain names do not have to be registered at the same company. There is always the problem that should that company decide to close down, your domain will suffer too.
- Go over the bandwidth and the disk space terms.
- The unlimited storage claim – this may seem like a great offer but in reality there is no such thing as unlimited storage.
- Do your homework – before choosing any company you need to make sure to read the terms and conditions, as well as check out what others think of them. Other clients may have posted their reviews online and this will help you to ascertain whether this company can be trusted or not. Go for a web host that has a good track record as it will ultimately pay off in the long run. Ultimately this is not about saving money, but about choosing well as it is going to have a huge impact on the effectiveness of your website.